Monday, October 8, 2007

Voyager Rescue Ratchet to Ironhide Kitbash

I had this crazy idea - Since G1 Ironhide and Ratchet shared the same mold, I decided to use the Rescue Ratchet mold and kitbashed it to Ironhide. I will be using the same head from the KO Landcross. I always hated the movie hands, they looked like insect pincers, so I substituted it with extra Gundam hands lying around my home office.

There were massive repaint activity buzzing around him and alot of detailing done on this Ironhide. Rest of the mold will remained the same more or less.

This was be a joint collaboration between me and a good friend of mine.

Here is some of the shots of I took on the preliminary modification stage.




A full day job and I was really pleased with the result.

First of all, MAJOR PROPS and CREDIT must be given to my friend Hakim for the extraordinary job he has done with the overall paint job for this Voyager Ironhide. He is one talented dude. I only did the modification and the detailing but the whole paint works was done by him singlehandedly and it is very impressive.

The toy was taken apart for primering and color coating.

Pre-painted the head to get the feel and look of the color.

The color used - Gunze Sangyo - Number 79 : Shiny Red


The compressor - the thing that made the whole project worked

After the 1st coat of paint

DONE!

It took from 10am till 4pm for the paint works to be completed and a further 2 to 3 hours on my part to finish up with the detailing and the decals. We removed the front kangaroo bar and the stretcher cum weapon to give Ironhide a distinctive look, different from Rescue Ratchet.




Decals (water-based) were used from ther 1/144 Bandai Gundam decal series - cheat at RM16 for roughly 100+ decals.

Alt mode pics!


Pictured together with my Rescue Ratchet (Kitbased the head and hands).

Side view

Let's Roll Out!

All in all a fruitful project and looking forward for more!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this kitbash very much. So with the Rescue Ratchet version, all you did was just make some minor adjustments and added the Landcross head along with hands?

Also how did you install the hands? Do the rubber gundam hands that sometimes come with the polycaps tree work?

When you transform, do the hands and new head fit inside vehicle?